University of Mary
Division of Nursing
NUR 331 03
ARTICLE EVALUATION GUIDELINES
Nursing is an evidence-based practice profession. New information is constantly being generated to enhance practice. Therefore, each student must complete two article reviews from professional nursing literature published within the last five years that pertains to the care of a child with a chronic disease or healthcare issue. Suggestions include cystic fibrosis, muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy, type 1 or 2 diabetes, or congenital heart defect etc. One of your two article reviews may be from a professional medical journal. To recap: you will choose a topic and do 2 article reviews on this topic. Please refer to syllabus for Rubric.
The article review for each of the three articles must be submitted using the following guidelines:
- An APA citation of the article (source) to introduce the article. Please refer to the Pocket Guide to APA Style by Robert Perrin (or an APA manual of your choice). APA style is not required for the other components of the article review.
- Introduction: A paragraph explaining what prompted you to choose to read this article.
- One or two paragraphs which objectively summarize what the article actually says, not what you think about it.
- Two or more paragraphs that contain the following:
- Your evaluation of the articles presentation, content and meaning.
- Did the information confirm or challenge your thinking regarding the content?
- Nursing knowledge gained from this article review, how did it relate to your patient care?
- How can you incorporate this information into your future practice?
The article reviews are worth 40 points and will be graded with the following criteria:
Content: Fulfilling all criteria listed in items 2-4 (17 points for each article)
- If non-nursing (1 medical) or nonprofessional journals are used, 1 points will be deducted for each
- If an article older than 5 years is used, 1 points will be deducted for each
Professional writing style and spelling: (3 points)
- Professional grammar and correct spelling are required and the paper is double spaced. I would expect this paper will be 3-4 pages in length.
APA Citation of the Article (3 points)