Final Essay Assignment Instructions
Truth is the key to making good and well-informed decisions in management. However, criminal justice organizations in some jurisdictions do not practice the ethics of truth. They do not create trust in their ability to deal with their citizens and fellow criminal justice organizations with truthfulness in a court of law. Many years ago, some folks said, “if we don’t clean this mess up, someone else is going to clean it up for us.” Because of this, it is critical that you understand your role and authority when conducting internal investigations and the role that Garrity may play in this endeavor. The article provided for this week focuses upon recent court decisions related to officer integrity and accountability, both of which are paramount. Within this context, you should also recall two very key cases: Brady v. Maryland and Giglio v. United States.
You must format your essays as you would a formal paper, following the guidelines set forth for papers in this course. To adequately respond to the question, you will need to write at least 3 pages (not including the title, abstract, and resource pages.) The essays are open book/open notes.
- Citation style: current APA
- All papers must use the following format:
- Times New Roman
- 12-point font
- Double spaced
- 1” margins from left to right and top to bottom
As we consider the true purpose and necessity of accountability and integrity within law enforcement, we must also consider how this should be addressed. Most often, officers that are found guilty of deception through internal administrative investigations are cited for termination. With this in mind, should this be a matter of common response and general public policy? Should all officers found guilty of deception (lying) be subject to termination?
As you strive to answer the overall question, use the steps below to arrive at your final answers in route to the last one:
- It is simple, but is it fair?
- Is it possible that you could lose some really good personnel who only messed up once in their whole career?
- What effect will such a drastic measure have on the personnel’s families?
- If you keep them, will it affect the overall credibility of your agency?
- What conclusion does the writer reach? Why or why not?
- What policy would you recommend for your chief, sheriff, warden, state police commissioner, and/or any other affiliated executive with whom you may work?
Note: Your assignment will be checked for originality via the Turnitin plagiarism tool.